The technology of growing micro-algae
In micro algae growth technology, the algae undergo development and processing being the source of valuable molecules so products derived from microalgae are with high benefit.
Different applications to Biotechnology of Microalgae
Microalgae-based products are key to meet future raw material demands. Current market needs exceeds greatly supply capabilities:
- Increasing the nutritional value of food & feed – dietary supplements and coloring for their high value carbohydrate, fatty acids, protein-rich-biomass and pigment.
- Aquaculture and agriculture – soil additives, fertilizers and more.
- Pharmaceutical drug compounds – potential for use in prevention and treatment of various diseases from antibiotic-based drugs to anti-cancer products, pain relievers and more.
- Natural products market and nutritional supplements –fatty acids, polysaccharides, protein and pigments that are highly concentrated in the algae, constitute a great commercial potential to the increasing food additives market Omega 3, Omega 6, vitamin C, beta-carotene, Astaxanthin and more.
- The cosmetics industry – Cosmetics market products based on algae evolved in recent years because of the potential based on anti-aging products, anti-oxidants, pigments and more.
- Bio energy – as a source of biofuel – Such as biogas, biomass biodiesel and alcohol.
Species: Haematococcus pluvialis
Haematococcus pluvialis is one of the most important species in microalgal biotechnology due to the capabilityof accumulating high amount of the red pigment – Astaxanthin. Astaxanthin pigment is the most potent antioxidant known in nature.
Astaxanthin accumulation in Haematococcus pluvialis occur due to a unique stress process developed in our systems to maximize its content.
Astaxanthin classified as a xanthophyll, which is a Carotenoid pigment. Astaxanthin pigment has attracted great interest due to the facts it used in a variety of fields.
Astaxanthin acts as an anti-oxidant. Natural Astaxanthin is a dietary supplement with extremely powerful antioxidant benefits for human applications. Nutraceutical Industry, pharmaceutical Industry, food and feed colorant and potential cosmetically applications in protection against skin aging are among long list of capabilities correlated to Astaxanthin. According to the Code of Federal Regulations, Astaxanthin generally recognized as safe (GRAS).
Astaxanthin has been scientifically proven to be effective than any other Carotenoid : The antioxidant effect is 500 times higher than Vitamin E, 10 times than β-Carotene and other Carotenoids.
The main benefits of Astaxanthin for human applications:
- Fights free radicals
- Essential in anti- aging process
- Effective in reducing wrinkles
- Inhibits the development of cancer cells
- Prevents Atherosclerosis
- Strengthens the immune system
ALGALO unique growing systems (Flat panel PBR) and methods enhance Haematococcus Pluvialis yield per volume containing high concentration of Astaxanthin. .
 Miki, W., Pure & Appl. Chem., 63, 141-146, 1989.
 Shimizu, N., Goto, M., Miki, W., Fisheries Science, 62, 134-137, 1996.
Soon, More products available!!!